UHMWPE: Ultra-High-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene
Ultra–High-Molecular-Weight Polyethylene (UHMWPE) is a subset of thermoplastic polyethylene with the highest impact strength of any thermoplastic presently made. This unique polymer has outstanding physical and mechanical properties including chemical inertness, self-lubricity, impact resistance, and abrasion resistance.
UHMWPE is also used for medical applications such as joint replacements. See http://www.uhmwpe.org/ for more info. There are also several industrial applications of UHMWPE.
Why to buy Polyethylene Rifle Plates?
Polyethylene Rifle Plates may be better for You than Ceramic Rifle Plates if:
- You do not want to worry about unseen fractures or costly X-Rays
- You want the lightest rifle plate possible
Polyethylene Rifle Plates may be better for You than Steel Rifle Plates if:
- You do not want to worry about bullet ricochet or splatter
- You place great importance on mobility in high threat situations and during training
- UHMWPE Rifle plates are the lightest rifle plates on the market. These plates will stop 6 rounds of 7.62 x 51 and will also stop the 7.62 x 39 and 5.56 FMJ.
- There are some downsides to Polyethylene Rifle Plates that are common deterrents for some people:
- 1) They will not stop the M855/ SS-109 Ammo.
- 2) They are subject to degradation with prolonged exposure to temperatures below -15 F and Above 150 F. Click HERE for more on M855/ SS-109 - Click HERE for more on temperature concerns
- Like many choices in life, there are pros and cons with each path you choose. It is up to you to decide what is important for you when choosing rifle plates, but we are happy to answer any questions you have or walk through the decision making process with you. Our goal is to provide you accurate information about rifle plates and help you wade through the misinformation out there so you can spend your money wisely.